What is Paediatric Physiotherapy?
Paediatric Physiotherapy is a specialised branch of physiotherapy for children of varying ages from 0-17 years.
A Paediatric Physiotherapist helps infants, children and teens achieve developmental milestones and improve co-ordination, strength, posture, and motor skills and also to recover from trauma or surgery. We have highly developed hands on skills, which we use in a fun, creative and playful environment. We collaborate with the child, the child’s family, other health professionals and teachers or educators as need be. Our treatment programs aim to optimise the health, well-being, and abilities of each child to enable them to move and participate in everyday activities, like playing, learning, going to school, and being part of a family and community.
Unlike adults who have completed their growth period, children may have specific needs relating to their physical development which can benefit from the specialised approach a physiotherapist working in paediatrics can provide.
are not just little adults – they are built differently, move
differently and think differently. As a result, babies and children
will benefit from seeing a physiotherapist who is trained and
experienced in paediatrics. Paediatric physiotherapists are experts in
child development, particularly in relation to the development of
is a very important aspect of development for babies and children.
Movement allows children to explore their bodies and how they work, as
well as their environment and all the things in their world – being able
to move easily and successfully is essential for learning and growing.
Our aim is to encourage your child to achieve their goals and maximise their ability to grow and develop,and participate in play, school and home activities.
- Individualised assessment of musculoskeletal, posture, gait, function and movement skills.
- An enjoyable play based environment
- An individual therapy program based on your child's needs
- Parent and family education to incorporate strategies into your child's routine/schedule
- A home program and plan of action based on individual goals
- Equipment prescription
- Assessment, therapy and education can all be provided at your child's daycare, preschool or school.
- Aquatic Physiotherapy (Hydrotherapy) is available in community pools